Our health and wellness team takes an integrative approach to treating upper back pain at Unity Chiropractic and Wellness Center. Tackling pain at its source using various non-invasive techniques and therapies optimizes relief and prevent it from coming back. Patients in Beaverton and surrounding areas visit our chiropractors because of the extensive benefits chiropractic care offers plus no drugs or surgical procedures are included in your pain management plan. We do, however, use advanced technology and equipment for diagnostics.
The Upper Back Structure
The strong, stable, and injury resistant thoracic or upper back spine stretches from the mid-back to the neck at one end and the lower back at the other. It keeps the rib cage in place, protects internal organs but offers only limited mobility. Additionally, strong muscles, tendons, and ligaments surround and protect the spinal joints, bones, nerve, and discs.
What Causes Upper Back Pain?
Although remarkably engineered, pain can develop due to repetitive use, strains and sprains from lifting heavy objects, muscle stress, sports or accident injuries, and spinal misalignment. Other pain causes are:
- Disc herniation
- Poor posture habits
- Degenerative disc disease
- Inflammation due to arthritis
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- A pinched nerve in the upper back or neck
Typical Pain Symptoms
Upper back pain and discomfort may present symptoms in the top or mid back, neck, between the shoulder blades, arm, chest, and areas lower down the body. Tingling, numbness, or weakness may also occur. The pain may be mild, sharp stabbing or grip like a vice. It can be sudden, gradual, persistent, or intermittent, limit movement, or get worse with activities.
How Our Chiropractor in Beaverton Can Treat Your Pain
Effective pain relief at our clinic starts with an accurate diagnosis and a combination of the right treatment modalities. Your doctor will examine you thoroughly and may even do imaging tests of the spine to check for abnormalities likely to cause pain. Based on the findings, you may receive a combination of chiropractic adjustments and soft tissue rehabilitation.
- Spinal Adjustment: This technique corrects vertebral subluxation (misalignment). It is performed manually or using small instruments to mobilize and reposition the spinal joints and bones. Realignment relieves pressure on the nerve and alleviates pain, numbness, tingling, and weakness.
- Sacro-Occipital Technique (SOT): Our Doctors of Chiropractic are skilled in performing SOT to adjust the cranial bones and spine. This helps to correct spinal abnormalities that cause back pain and nervous system interference.
- Soft Tissue Therapies: Our massage therapist provides soothing massage and myofascial therapies to improve blood flow, reduce inflammation, heal the connective tissue, and increase flexibility.
- Acupuncture: This art of healing technique is used by our acupuncturist to promote balance and health. By restoring your natural healing system, your back pain will be reduced.
Visit Our Chiropractor for Chiropractic Care in Beaverton
Improve your pain and overall spine health by scheduling a consultation at Unity Chiropractic and Wellness Center. Call (503) 747-3388 to speak with a courteous staff member at our Beaverton clinic.